April 17, 2017
Harley Rouda Raises Sizable $215,257 in First Quarter, is Neck-and-Neck With Incumbent Dana Rohrabacher for Q1’s Total Raised and Cash-On-Hand
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — Illustrating his early fundraising prowess and the robust strength of his effort, today businessman and Democrat Harley Rouda‘s campaign announced that its latest fundraising report puts it within striking distance of the near 30 year incumbent, Republican Congressman, Dana Rohrabacher.
Rouda raised a whopping $215,257 just four weeks since announcing his campaign for the first quarter filing period. He also reported having $200,183 cash-on-hand in his war chest. Incumbent Rohrabacher, on the other hand, reported raising $222,628 for Q1 with $204,526 in the bank — a mere $4,343 cash-on-hand difference from what Rouda, a political newcomer who has never served in elected office, maintains.
Responding to news of the fundraising feat, Dave Jacobson, one of Rouda‘s campaign consultants, released the following statement:
“This report not only emboldens our effort, but it serves as crystal clear evidence of the fact that Harley Rouda‘s people-powered, people-driven campaign has tapped into the groundswell of grassroots activism that’s electrifying Orange County. In the few weeks since he began his campaign, Harley has built up a massive grassroots volunteer network, he’s secured key endorsements from leaders like former Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and past Attorney General Bill Lockyer, along with scores of neighborhood leaders and activists, and he’s assembled a campaign operation second to none. We’re fully confident that Harley will continue to raise the necessary resources to wage a competitive, districtwide campaign that will put him in the strongest position possible to flip the 48th District from red-to-blue.”
Today’s announcement comes on the heels of several recent campaign updates, all of which reflect Rouda‘s increasing momentum, including:
- Scoring over 50 grassroots endorsements, along with the backing of regional Democratic Party heavyweights like past Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, among others.
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “As Rohrabacher fights to revoke women’s healthcare, it’s time we fight to revoke his seat”
- Directly challenging incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher to a series of five debates
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.