Democratic Businessman Harley Rouda Releases Digital Video Ad Illustrating Sharp Contrast Between His Vision for Healthcare and Rohrabacher’s Support of Trumpcare
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — Keeping up the pressure on incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, who recently voted to support Trumpcare, also known as the House GOP’s American Health Care Act (AHCA), today Democratic businessman Harley Rouda unveiled a hard-hitting contrasting digital video ad that showcases the different positions both candidates have on healthcare in the race for California’s 48th Congressional District.
To view the digital video ad, titled “2 Plans,” click here or on the screen shot below:
Upon releasing the new, compelling online ad, Democratic businessman Harley Rouda remarked:
“Trumpcare’s aims are un-American and nothing short of horrifying. Dana Rohrabacher’s backing of a plan that kicks 24 million Americans to the curb and off of healthcare, defunding of Planned Parenthood and which would allow open discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions all serves as the latest evidence that he’s out of touch with the values and the people of Orange County. In Congress, I will work to increase coverage, lower costs, protect those with pre-existing conditions, fully fund Planned Parenthood and bring compassion to healthcare for our nation’s hard working families. This new ad articulates these two sharply contrasting visions for where to take our healthcare system in the months and years ahead.”
The full script of the ad reads as follows:
- What does our healthcare system look like if Donald Trump and Dana Rohrabacher get their way?
- 24 million more Americans uninsured.
- Open discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions— like cancer and heart disease.
- Planned Parenthood—defunded.
- Trump-care taxes leading to skyrocketing costs for people over 50.
- Billions slashed from Medicaid and higher prescription drug prices.
- Harley Rouda’s plan?
- Universal healthcare for ALL Americans — including guaranteed coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Preserve and improve the Affordable Care Act.
- Fully fund Planned Parenthood.
- Lower prescription drug prices.
- Protections for Medicaid expansion.
- Prevention of a Trump-care tax on people ages 50-64.
- Harley Rouda has a plan to make things better.
- Dana Rohrabacher’s plan will make things worse.
Today’s announcement comes on the heels of several recent campaign updates, all of which reflect Rouda’s increasing momentum, including:
- Previously announcing his initial wave of over 100 grassroots endorsements, along with the backing of regional Democratic Party heavyweights like past Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, among others.
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO and coming in neck-and-neck with incumbent Rohrabacher in Q1, as reported by the Orange County Register.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “As Rohrabacher fights to revoke women’s healthcare, it’s time we fight to revoke his seat”
- Directly challenging incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher to a series of five debates
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “”Protecting our Environment Should Again Be a Bipartisan Issue”
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.com.