Following Washington Post Revelations that GOP House Majority Leader McCarthy Said Trump and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher were on Vladamir Putin’s Payroll, Harley Rouda Sends Formal Letter to FBI Requesting Investigation
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — On the heels of the explosive Washington Post story revealing an audio tape where GOP House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy stated to House Speaker Paul Ryan and others that he, “swear[s] to God” that Russian President Vladimir Putin pays Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, the Congressman’s CA-48 challenger Democratic Businessman Harley Rouda submitted today the following letter to the Los Angeles Field Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) requesting an investigation into the Orange County Congressman’s possible ties to Putin.
Rouda mailed the following letter to the FBI:
To: Los Angeles Field Office, Federal Bureau of Investigation
From: Harley E. Rouda Jr.
Subject: Congressman Dana Rohrabacher
To whom it may concern,
I would like to draw your attention to May 17, 2017’s Washington Post article, entitled:
“House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump”
In the article, it is revealed that in a taped conversation last year, U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy stated that he “swear[s] to God” that Russian President Vladimir Putin pays Congressman Dana Rohrabacher.
Notably, Kevin McCarthy is known as a Congressional leader who does everything he can to protect the members in the House GOP caucus. If he is willing to say something like this, it means it is something worth investigating.
The public has a right to know if the man that CNN has referred to as ‘Putin’s Favorite Congressman’, Representative Dana Rohrabacher, is also Putin’s favorite employee. Dana Rohrabacher’s devout support of and advocacy for Russia’s brutal regime is widely known, and given the ongoing investigation of Trump’s possible collusion with Russia in the 2016 election along with Rohrabacher’s deep ties to Trump, it’s become abundantly clear that this spider web of ties must be investigated.
As a concerned constituent, I beseech you to consider opening up an investigation and subpoenaing necessary documents to make a determination if these allegations are true. Reports in the press indicate that there is already an investigation into the Russia ties of Trump’s associates, but I believe the public needs to know definitively whether Congressman Rohrabacher has any financial ties to the Russian regime.
It is my profound hope that Congressman McCarthy’s allegations are untrue, but the truth must be uncovered.
Harley E. Rouda Jr.
Today’s announcement follows the release of Rouda’s new, hard-hitting digital video ad , titled “2 Plans,” where he slams incumbent Dana Rohrabacher for backing Trumpcare, also known as the House GOP’s American Health Care Act (AHCA).
Click on the screen shot below to view the ad:
Below is a list of recent campaign updates, all of which reflect Rouda’s increasing momentum, including:
- Previously announcing his initial wave of over 100 grassroots endorsements, along with the backing of regional Democratic Party heavyweights like past Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, among others.
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO and coming in neck-and-neck with incumbent Rohrabacher in Q1, as reported by the Orange County Register.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “As Rohrabacher fights to revoke women’s healthcare, it’s time we fight to revoke his seat”
- Directly challenging incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher to a series of five debates
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “”Protecting our Environment Should Again Be a Bipartisan Issue”
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress. com.