Ocean View School District Board of Trustees President Gina Clayton-Tarvin Announces Support of Harley Rouda for Congress
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — After calling on incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher to join him in a series of five debates yesterday, today Democrat Harley Rouda earned a potent local endorsement from Ocean View School District Board of Trustees’ President Gina Clayton-Tarvin in his bid for California’s 48th Congressional District seat.
In announcing her endorsement, Ocean View School District Board of Trustees’ President Gina Clayton-Tarvin released the following statement:
“I’m proud to endorse Harley Rouda for Congress because I know he’ll work to bring common sense and progress to Washington. He’ll fight to increase investments in our local neighborhood schools, while advocating for tough environmental protections to safeguard the future for California’s children. I know that he will work to make access to higher education more accessible for all. We need a major overhaul in Washington and it begins right here in the 48th District with Harley Rouda. He is the best candidate to bring the bold change we need.”
Today’s news follows Rouda’s issuing of a formal debate invitation to incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, in which Democrat Rouda emailed directly to Rohrabacher. To view the letter click here.
The Rouda for Congress campaign previously noted that it is available to immediately begin negotiations for debate logistics in terms of dates, times and locations. The campaign proposes five debates focusing on the following topics:
1) Healthcare, Women’s Rights, Planned Parenthood, Medicare and Social Security
2) The Environment and Immigration Reform
3) Jobs and the Economy
4) The Ongoing Investigation of the Russian Hacking in the 2016 Election
5) International Affiars Ranging from Trade to Global Conflicts
- Scoring over 50 grassroots endorsements, along with the backing of regional Democratic Party heavyweights like past Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer.
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “As Rohrabacher fights to revoke women’s healthcare, it’s time we fight to revoke his seat” on Medium.com
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.com.