March 29, 2017
Fundraising Juggernaut Harley Rouda Picks Up Steam in CA-48 Orange County Congressional Bid
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — Continuing to turn heads from Orange County to Washington, D.C., today, businessman Harley Rouda, who is running to represent California’s 48th Congressional District, announced that his campaign has surpassed $200,000 raised in just mere weeks since he officially entered the race.
Today’s announcement comes on the heels of several recent campaign updates, all of which illustrate Rouda‘s increasing momentum, including:
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Scoring endorsements from former Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro, former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, Laguna Beach Mayor Toni Iseman, Laguna Beach Democratic Club President Dr. Gary LeFebvre*, and the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
Upon rolling out today’s record-smashing numbers for a Democrat in California’s 48th District, Maclen Zilber, one of Rouda‘s campaign consultants, released the following statement:
“Every day it’s becoming increasingly clear that Harley Rouda, a first time candidate, is a prodigious fundraiser with wide-ranging appeal. Moreover, these strong numbers help to shine a bright spotlight on the fact that people don’t just believe in Harley Rouda as a person, but they believe in him as a candidate, and as the best person to truly represent the interests of the 48th. We are incredibly encouraged by this robust showing in just a few weeks since our campaign began and plan to double down and keep raising to ensure we have the resources to run a successful campaign.”
Rouda announced his campaign just weeks ago. Recently, he spoke to a crowd of over 600 grassroots activists at an event organized by local Democratic Clubs and the Orange County Democratic Party. To view his remarks, please visit his Facebook page here and scroll down to his Facebook live coverage from the event.
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.