Rouda Is Clear Choice for CA-48 at Forum Hosted by The Democratic Women of South Orange County
LAGUNA BEACH, CA– Showcasing the continued momentum for his bid for Congress, today Democratic businessman Harley Rouda’s campaign announced that in a straw poll conducted at The Democratic Women of South Orange County’s First Candidate Conversation Forum, 84% of attendees said Rouda was their preferred candidate for California’s 48th Congressional District. The forum, which was conducted earlier this week, had over 400 signups.
Reacting to the results of the straw poll, Rouda released the following statement:
“I’m extraordinarily grateful for the confidence that these grassroots activists and community leaders have placed in our campaign. Their support validates our focus on running a people-powered campaign that takes on the most important issues of the day, like reproductive rights, expanding access to affordable healthcare, educational equity, combatting climate change, and investigating this administration’s ties to Russia. This poll is just the latest reflection of the groundswell of support I’ve experienced since entering the race and it’s deeply humbling and encouraging to have such robust support at this early stage of the campaign.”
This announcement comes on the heels of Rouda publishing an explosive editorial condemning the proposed cuts to science funding in Donald Trump’s budget.
Previously, Rouda submitted a letter to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) requesting an investigation into Congressman Dana Rohrabacher’s possible ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin following the explosive Washington Post story revealing an audio tape where GOP House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy stated to House Speaker Paul Ryan and others that he, “swear[s] to God” that Russian President Vladimir Putin pays Rohrabacher.
Today’s announcement also follows the release of Rouda’s new, hard-hitting digital video ad , titled “2 Plans,” where he slams incumbent Dana Rohrabacher for backing Trumpcare, also known as the House GOP’s American Health Care Act (AHCA).
Click on the screen shot below to view the ad:
Below is a list of recent campaign updates, all of which reflect Rouda’s increasing momentum, including:
- Previously announcing his initial wave of over 100 grassroots endorsements, along with the backing of regional Democratic Party heavyweights like past Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro and former California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, among others.
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO and coming in neck-and-neck with incumbent Rohrabacher in Q1, as reported by the Orange County Register.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “As Rohrabacher fights to revoke women’s healthcare, it’s time we fight to revoke his seat”
- Directly challenging incumbent Congressman Dana Rohrabacher to a series of five debates
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “”Protecting our Environment Should Again Be a Bipartisan Issue”
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.com.