March 30, 2017
Groundswell of Over 50 Orange County Grassroots Activists Endorse Democrat Harley Rouda in Congressional Bid
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — On the heels of announcing he surpassed $200,000 raised and underscoring the electricity and groundswell of grassroots support swirling around businessman Harley Rouda’s bid to represent California’s 48th Congressional District seat, today his campaign, which to date has signed up hundreds of volunteers, rolled out a new list of 50 community endorsers.
Upon unveiling the sizable list of backers only weeks into his campaign, businessman Harley Rouda released the following statement:
“I’m running a people-powered, people-fueled and people-focused campaign. It’s a bottom up movement that we’re building– not top down. Today’s announcement serves as evidence of this fact and it showcases how we’re putting progress, compassion, inclusivity and people first in order to take on the entrenched system in Washington, including our extremist representative in Congress, Dana Rohrabacher. I am deeply grateful for this strong showing of early grassroots support. These community leaders are helping us build an organization that will mobilize into boots on the ground for our outreach efforts that will ultimately help us get out our message so that we prevail on Election Day.”
Those who are endorsing Rouda today include:
- Elisabeth Hassanzadeh, Fountain Valley
- Jennifer Gibbs, Laguna Beach
- Mark Mendizza, Laguna Niguel
- Sue Mendizza, Laguna Niguel
- Lewis Moss, Laguna Beach
- Louise Stover, Costa Mesa
- Teri Whitehair, Costa Mesa
- Lynn Gosselin, Newport Beach
- Sharon Green Schneider, Laguna Beach
- Debra Baroni, Costa Mesa
- Tamara Taylor, Laguna Beach
- Brenda Merrill, Aliso Viejo
- Gayle Joliet, Laguna Beach
- James Halpern, Huntington Beach
- Jane Hind, Aliso Viejo
- Sarah Hunter, Huntington Beach
- Tom Joliet, Laguna Beach
- Yolanda Newton, Costa Mesa
- Barry Newton, Costa Mesa
- Kristin Fast, Laguna Beach
- Lori Kahn, Laguna Beach
- Varini Desilva, Huntington Beach
- Glen Jansma, Newport Beach
- Christina Skoski, Huntington Beach
- Alex Saenz, Seal Beach
- Bob Whitehair, Costa Mesa
- Carrie Reynolds, Laguna Beach
- Claire Ratfield, Costa Mesa
- Corinne Stover, Costa Mesa
- Cris Hamilton, Laguna Beach
- D’Shawn Kerrins, Laguna Beach
- Darryl Freeland, Laguna Niguel
- Dee Botejue, Fountain Valley
- Gary Stewart, Laguna Beach
- Gialisa Gaffaney, Newport Beach
- Jane Edelman, Laguna Niguel
- Jeannine Arsenault, Costa Mesa
- Joy Freeman, Newport Beach
- Kim McDaniel, Laguna Niguel
- Lise Miller, Newport Beach
- Anne-Marie Schiefer, Costa Mesa
- Mike Kelly, Huntington Beach
- Rosalie Cebreros, Laguna Beach
- Michael Schneider, Laguna Beach
- Sondra Berg, Laguna Niguel
- Sue Mendizza, Laguna Niguel
- Summer Bailey, Newport Beach
- Terry Cornell, Aliso Viejo
- Tina Freeland, Laguna Niguel
- Eunnie Hur, Laguna Beach
- Anne Gardinier, Newport Beach
Those who previously endorsed Rouda include:
- Orange County Democratic Party Chair Frank Barbaro (Ret.)
- California Attorney General Bill Lockyer (Ret.)
- Laguna Beach Mayor Toni Iseman
- Laguna Beach Democratic Club President Dr. Gary LeFebvre*
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36
Today’s announcement comes on the heels of several recent campaign updates, all of which reflect Rouda’s increasing momentum, including:
- Releasing his first video ad, titled, Clean House, which garnered national attention in the Washington Post.
- Raising over $200,000 before the March 31, 2017 deadline, as reported by POLITICO.
- Raising the campaign’s first $100,000 in only 12 days since entering the CA-48 contest, as reported by Roll Call.
- Unveiling his initial agenda items for what he plans to address in Washington.
- Publishing an Op-Ed titled, “Time to finally ensure that healthcare coverage is a right for every American” on Medium.com.
Harley Rouda is a successful businessman who has created several successful companies, and now serves on the board of numerous companies in a variety of industries. Rouda received an MBA from The Ohio State University, and a J.D. from Capital University Law School. He lives in Laguna Beach, with his wife Kaira Rouda, a bestselling author. They have four children.
Active in numerous charities and civic organizations over the years, Harley has been involved in fighting homelessness and domestic violence; active with Human Rights Watch; supporting education for the disadvantaged as well as supporting access to higher education; saving military jobs; and working with civic organizations to drive economic development.
The 48th Congressional District is considered a ripe pickup opportunity for Democrats, as Hillary Clinton won the district by 2%. The district is seen as all the more winnable given that Rohrabacher is an unabashed supporter of Russia’s Putin, and is one of Donald Trump’s closest allies in Congress. The 48th Congressional district also had one of the largest swings of any Congressional district in the country from 2012 to 2016, with more than 13 percentage points at the presidential level shifting to Democratic.
For more information, please visit www.HarleyforCongress.co